T i m

On 27 Jan 2005 15:35:24 -0800, wrote:

Kitchen knives that never need sharpening only need sharpening when
they get a bit blunt.

I know not a true 'edge' like some of the knives being mentioned here
but I can't remember EVER sharpening the Kitchen Devil 'utility' knife
in the 10 odd years we had it. And that was after cutting basically
'anything' that needed cutting including cardboard boxes and those
hard plastic straps you get round big packages. I would grab it even
going for a craft knife if I wanted to cut something softish, quickly.
'She' would then have to track it down "why isn't the Devil in the
draw?" sorta thing ;-) It would still do a good job on a tomato?

Same as ordinary knives really. Scalloped edges
easier to get a good edge however - for ordinary purposes like cutting
bread. Best knife we have was grandparents carving knife - very
ordinary sheffield plain steel not stainless with "ivory" handle. Must
be 80 years old or more and apparently indestructible and keeps good
edge with use of a matching steel which is worn nearly smooth. Got the
matching carving fork too - does a brill job on the old sunday joint
(meat that is).

LOL. We rarely have a 'joint' (of meat) and if we do we (she) manages
to cut it up with 'something' (don't think we have a 'carving knife'
at all).

All the best ..

T i m