Aniseed

Cuprager wrote:
Aniseed wrote:
Dear DIY experts,

I currently have an in-line scale inhibitor on a pipe running into a
Worcester Heatslave 9-24 combi boiler. It was installed by the house
builder 15 years ago. The scale inhibitor is also made by Worcester. It
does not seem to have been topped up with crystals regularly. The scale
inhibitor is a heavy copper capsule with a cap at the top which you are
supposed to unscrew to top up with polyphosphate crystals. But it is
jammed tight. I have tried removing the unit, and tried my best to
unscrew the cap using an adjustable spanner, but i couldn't budge the
thing. I tried heating up the cap end of the caspule over a gas hob,
then cooling it in water, but it didn't help. Tapping the cap with a
hammer also no good.

I can't tell if the unit still has crystals in it, or if there is
something else in there, but after I screwed it back into the plumbing
after my unsuccessful top-up attemp, it seems to be restricting the
flow of water into the boiler. The hot water flow rate is about only a
third of what it used to be, barely enough to shower with...
What would you do if you were in my shoes?

-aniseed

Aniseed,

I have that boiler too. If you explain where abouts the capsule is then
i will have a look at mine to see if it there and if the lid comes off.

Hi Gerry,

The capsule is located outside the boiler. My capsule is located under the
kitchen sink. The boiler is also located in the kitchen, and the water mains
runs from the ground under the kitchen sink, through the capsule, and then into
the boiler. (By the way, If you live in a soft water area you may not have one,
as its only necessary for areas with water that causes limescale buildup.)

I am thinking about replacing the boiler as it is getting a bit old now.
It isnt causing me any problems but it is niggling me due to its age.
What do you think, should i be concerned because it is old?? And is it
old in boiler terms... Worcester tell me that that model was made
betweer 85 - 89

Hmm, I've never thought of replacing the boiler just due to old age. Unless it
developed some problem, I guess I wouldn't bother. Unfortunately I am not
experienced with DIY in general, let alone home heating, so I can't give advice
on this. Ask me about computers if you want solid advice

-aniseed