roger

Default Green ooze from house wiring

In article , parish
parish_AT_ntlworld.com@?.? writes
Simon Avery wrote:

roger wrote:

Hello roger

r| A friend asked me to look at his house wiring because green
r| stuff was oozing out of L & N at most of the 13A sockets in
r| the house. He wasn't kidding - it's like Lyles Golden Syrup,
r| but bright green instead of golden. It is *not* corroding
r| the copper wires at all, but the brass pins of 13A plugs are
r| blackened. The wiring and house are about 25 years old, dry
r| and in vg condition, standard 7/029 T&E. The effect was
r| first noticed about 5 years ago. Earth wires are clean,
r| except where some goo has dripped on them. Insulation is
r| fine - over 100M on the circuit I tested. Stripping back a
r| bit of neutral insulation, the goo appears to be in
r| the strands.

Not come across that, other than the normal copper corrosion, but
that's not gooey afaik. If it is the wires and coming from inside the
sleeving, then I'd rewire the affected bits asap - this doesn't sound
good at all.

I have experienced goo coming through the ceiling and out of vents
before, but that was down to honey leaking from a bees nest.

Hmmm, perhaps this thread should move to alt.fan.hitchcock? :-)

Seriously, I would have thought verdisgris too but, like Simon, I've
never seen it "gooey", only dry and crystalline. Also, doesn't it
require oxygen to form? In which case I wouldn't expect to find it
*inside* the insulation (although the OP didn't say how far he'd
stripped back the PVC).

It's decidedly Hitchcock.
I've spent enough time at sea to be fairly sure it isn't verdigris; the
copper is bright, smooth and definitely not corroded. Nearest salt
water is 30 miles away.
It's as though it is grease-packed waterproof cable, but packed with
green syrup....
I must ask Neville to ask his neighbours if they have any similar
phenomena.

--
roger

delete x's to email