JohnW

Travis:

After all this, here's what happened:

The service tech arrived and I discussed all the issues. Several
significant factors:

1. My assertion that one of the outside units was an air conditioner was
correct! Our main floor/basement has propane heat and that's it! When I
explained that his colleague got it all wrong, he told me I misunderstood.
Yet the service ticket from two week's earlier had clearly written
references to the "first" and "second" heat pump. Oh.

2. He spent a lot of time in the room with the furnace, fiddling here and
there. Sometime later he indicated he could find nothing wrong. However,
we have had several more days with sub-15 degree evenings, and the house is
heating like a sauna. It's 12 degrees outside and the house is sitting at
72 with no problems. Something "changed". $108 dollars worth of labor, but
at least we're warm.

3. I had wired the programmable thermostat correctly. I suppose having only
4 wires is pretty much idiot proof, although I'm sure you industry folks
have seen it all.

I wish I knew what was adjusted for you all, but frankly I'm just happy the
system is working at this point. It's isn't getting all that much warmer
soon!

Thanks again.

John

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
JohnW wrote:
I put the old thermostat back on, and it's working fine--the house is
cozy. Still no heat pump, but the propane seems to be doing it's
thing now. Don't get it--the night/day temps are the same.
Something's just not right with the programmable thermostat. I have
a service tech coming out (again) on Wednesday, and I'll pick his
brain. Thanks for all your input--it's been an education!

You are welcome. Unless you've miswired something (and I don't think you
have) my supposition is that something is going on with the ODT (outdoor
thermostat) control on your HP condenser.

Let us know what the service tech finds?