jakdedert

SansAdresse wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:31:39 -0600, "jakdedert"
wrote:
If you do not like the results--or you have a lot of time on your
hands and like to experiment--suss out the preamp wiring in your amp
and go it the hard way.

One part of my question got lost in the discussion: We don't need a
full-fledged Pre-out that can drive a power amplifier, with all that
goes with that.

We only need to *insert* a line level active crossover (a "simple"
filter) on the signal path after (right after?) the volume control.

Can't that be done on the cheap? Just cut the signnal path and insert
two pairs on cinch connectors Out==In.

BTW, nothing should be "cut" in order to simply give you a line level out.
That would interupt the signal path...an example of why I think you should
try the easy way, first...requires very little technical knowledge and *NO*
opening up of the unit...much less any modification.

To do it correctly, you find the appropriate point in the signal
flow...preferably the input to the power amp drivers. At that point, you
can 'try' merely connecting cables to the sub x-over input. My guess is
that this will (maybe) affect the overall signal level to the unit's power
amps...perhaps do other interesting things as well. If it does, then you'll
need to construct a unity-gain isolation stereo amp...and feed the output of
that to your x-over.

If you want to convert to a full biamped system, using the receivers built
in amp for either the highs or lows, then another stereo amp for the other
section, that's an altogether different animal than you first presented.

jak