mel

actually yellow pine is considerably stronger than Doug fir

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
I've be trying to flatten a short piece of yellow pine 2x12 CCA that
I've had around for a while and just found the use of. I didn't

think
it would be too tough a job.

Not having a power planer I've been working on it with a #5, and a #4
(both recently tuned up and sharp) but the only thing that cuts it is
my low angle block plane. This stuff is like planing marble--the 45%
planes just slide over the top. The low angle cuts pretty well, but
leaves a choppy surface.

Anybody here know why yellow pine gets so frekkin' hard?
I'm gonna haf ta find another board.

Uh Huh. Southern Yellow Pine is one of the densest, hardest
softwoods, the only commercially commonplace softwood species
comporable in strength to Doug Fir.

I think that as the wood ages teh sap polymerizes increasing the
strength and hardness.

The Chromated Copper Arsenate treatment makes it denser, maybe
harder too. It may be a good thing that you didn;t use a power
planer. Probably it would corrode the heck out of the planer
head.

--

FF