On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 04:05:52 -0800, Bob Bowles
wrote:

snip of Sears horror story
Someone observed a couple of years ago it would take a certain type of
talent and attitude to destroy what Sears spent YEARS building as a
positive reputation and apparently it resided in the front office of
Sears. Pity!

A pity indeed. Sears has been lysing into a puddle of goo since the
60s. They managed the transition from mail-order to store operations
successfully, but when their store model started to fail they were
utterly lost.

They have been doing stupid things in varying degrees of panic ever
since. One of the most stupid was to utterly destroy their reputation
with their customers. That was longer in coming than some of their
other mistakes, but they have managed it.

In another five years there will be no more Sears (I predict) and for
my money it has taken far too long.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.