Chuck Hoffman

Think about this for a moment. In school, I was taught to sharpen plane
irons on a grinder and the wheel was always turning INTO the work. Wouldn't
the same logic apply to a belt sander?

You cannot reverse the direction of an AC motor by reversing the leads.

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...
You are correct that the belt should turn away from the edge that you are
sharpening.

"Gordon Airporte" wrote in message
Using a tool rest with plane irons and chisels, my intuition is to have
the belt running away from rather than into the edge - so the blade

can't
dig in. Same thing for sharpening knives freehand. If this isn't the

case,
how does one reverse the direction of an AC motor? Just reverse hot and
neutral?