Ray Sandusky

Helmut

It is not a good idea to leave Walnut unfinished - for a few reasons

1. If it comes in contact with acids, the wood will turn black
2. The tanins in Walnut are pretty strong and can be smelled for months
after the piece is dry.
3. It will absorb liquids pretty easily as the pores are rather large.

I found that Waterlox is a finish that really makes the beauty of Walnut
jump out of the surface.

Ray Sandusky
Brentwood, TN

"Helmut Kern" wrote in message
Hello,

i just received a couple of walnut wood.

I wanted to turn some bowls and leave them untreated or with the smallest
possible amount of finishing.

Can i use raw walnut in contact with food? or is there some acid or
similar stuff in the wood , wich will color or spoil the food, which came
in close contact with the wood ?

Your opinion please ?

Regards

Helmut