Fred R

Karl,
I started off wiring my CNC controller box with printer cable like you
are doing. It became so frustrating and unreliable that I got a
solder-tail connector for the end of the cable then used short lengths
of 'real' hookup wire, terminated with crimp-on loops, to run from the
connector to the end point. The connector is mounted in a D-cutout in
the case, isolated to avoid ground loops.

Note: All standard PC cables have shields and bodies connected at both
ends, often requiring a 'shieldectomy' on one end.
--
Fred R