*Be realistic about how level the wall needs to be - the wall does

not need
to be
flat but you do need to avoid big peaks of old dry adhesive as the

new
tiles will
pivot on these and not grab properly to the wall.

Thanks, Tim.
Aah..I see. Slapping on the tile adhesive evens out wall/plaster
imperfections.

Anyway, I'm going to have a go at this. I can esae into it by popping
out a few old tiles and slotting in new ones as direct replacements.

Question: Are wall tiles made in standard sizes? I can't recall the
size of my kitchen tiles right now, but they are fairly small, 1970s
vintage AFAIK. I'm hoping I can buy exact sized replacements to make my
job as easy as possible...

Bruce