Tim Snell

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking of starting my first ever wall tiling project, by
renovating my half-tiled kitchen. Tips, please, for a tile newbie.

* Existing tiles are faded with the odd chip, but they are sound and
fixed on OK. Some newbie FAQs say that its OK to tile again on top of
this layer. But this seems like a cop out and anyway, won't it build up
a thick layer on the wall?!

* Removing existing tiles. Wall is breezeblock/plaster (1970s
construction). FAQs advise using a bolster chisel. Any likelihood of
damaging the plaster when the tiles come off? And does the surface
underneath (presumably chunks of tile adhesive) take a lot of levelling
off before retiling?

* Is tiling suitable for a newbie project? I can do wallpapering,
painting and basic electrics OK. My idea is to remove the existing
tiles down to a single row, then use this as a level base to plonk the
new tiles on. Sounds easy enough, in theory!

Well Bruce,

I have done this a few times and have never gone for the tile over
option...If you
have any areas where the sides of the tiles join back on to normal wall then
the
extra thickness is very apparent and can be different to hide. I have
always used
a bolster or 2 and have never had any really major damage to the plaster.
I think
it comes down to how well the adhesive has held up and how good the original
plastering is. The most time consuming part for me has been removing the
left over
ridge pattern from the previous adhesive comb.

My tips
*Keep the force (I always hit the bolster with a club hammer)
as close to parallel to the wall as possible then you shouldn't pull out the
plaster.

*Take anything out of the room that could possibly get damaged - sharp hard
bits
of tile going at speed can trach virtually anything

*Do wear gloves / goggles - it is one of the times it realls *is* necessary
IMO

*Once you get the hang of it try and get the bolster flat under the tile and
prise the
tile off without breaking - cleanest way of doing it

*Be realistic about how level the wall needs to be - the wall does not need
to be
flat but you do need to avoid big peaks of old dry adhesive as the new
tiles will
pivot on these and not grab properly to the wall.

Good Luck!
Tim