jakdedert

SansAdresse wrote:
You shouldn't have to worry about distortion in a subwoofer

The distortion would be in the woofers of the main speakers.

Yes, you are doing it the 'right' way, but certainly you are doing
it the 'hard' way. I'd try NSM's solution first, then if you have
objectionable distortion....

I did buy the powered subwoofer and the crossover (a venerable
Nakamichi model), only to discover that the jumpered connectors on the
back of the Sony integrated amp are an "accessory loop" (pre-volume
control) and not a Pre-out/Main-in pair.

I would expect higher quality reproduction if things are done the
"right way": not just less distortion, but cleaner sounding music. Are
you saying that the difference wouldn't be perceptible?

Not necessarily. I'm just saying that the results may be perfectly
acceptable for the application, by going the route NSM detailed: ie dropping
the speaker sig to an appropriate level for the input of the sub with a
resistor network. This is considerably less work than adding pre outs to
the amplifier and should work quite well. In fact, you could 'kludge up' a
network with just the resistors and a pair of RCA cables connected to the
'B' speaker outs in half an hour or so.

If you do not like the results--or you have a lot of time on your hands and
like to experiment--suss out the preamp wiring in your amp and go it the
hard way.

If you have limited experience, you may end up destroying your reciever; in
which case you can then get one which has a sub output or at least a preamp
out.

jak