willshak

On 1/27/2005 1:34 AM US(ET), Mike (remove XX's to reply) took fingers to
keys, and typed the following:

My downstairs bathroom sits over a utility room in the basement, and
you can see the pipes that go to and from the toilet in that room. A
few months ago, I noticed water on the floor and thought I had a
leak. So, I had my roommate go to the bathroom and flush. Here's
what happened:

Toilet flush.... everything OK
Tank starts filling.... starts leaking into the utiltiy room like crazy
Tank completes filling.... leaking totally stops

I found it strange that the leak only occurred when the toiled tank
was filling. Once it was full all leaking stopped. Since it did not
leak during the flush, I assume that the water was clean. It seemed
strange and didn't know how to diagnose it.

Any ideas?

It gets even more complicated:

So, I made that bathroom off limits until I could find a plumber
(which I never did), but my roommate accidentally flushed the toliet
there today. Since I was downstairs, I ran to check out the leaking.
Well, guess what? No more leak. Now I'm really confused, and how am
I going to ask a plumber to fix a leak that no longer exists?

I am asusuming that the leak stop is only temporary, either that or
the plumbing gods have smiled on me. Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions
are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Here's a WAG. Have the roommate flush the toilet while he/she is
standing, and then again while he/she is sitting on the toilet. If that
makes a difference, it could be the wax seal that is leaking when the
toilet is flushed without weight on the bowl, but doesn't leak when
weighed down by someone. There could be a slight time delay between the
flushing and when the water starts dripping.

--
Bill