calhoun

Ask your tile distributor about liquid membranes. Most contractors are using
this now. No need for any type of pan when these are used. You pour your
concrete apply the membrane and the tile thinsets to the membrane. A much
easier system.
With a correctly installed pan, as you describe, there is no need to seal
the concrete the pan is meant to hold any seepage.

"Spud" wrote in message
Hello all,

I recently had to replace the entire floor in a custom tile shower. The
original had a lead shower pan that had deteriorated over the years and
was
leaking. I had to tear the whole thing out down to the subfloor and have
replaced the lead pan with a vinyl pan and filled with mortar in
preparation
for the new tile floor. My question is, should I seal this mortar with a
masonry waterproofer like Thompson's or UGL Drylok before installing the
tile with thinset mortar?? My thinking is this will help prevent
moisture/water from seeping down thru the mortar bed in the first place.
My concern is, will the tile thinset mortar bond with the mortar bed if I
treat it with one of these sealers. I don't want to have tiles popping
up
6 months down the road.

Thanks for your help,
Spud