~KJPRO~

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Obviously different installers do things differently. Our 3-receiver
DirecTV system (including one DirecTivo box) has an elliptical
triple-LNB dish. Two RG6 cables (complete with the "hanger" wire, as
used by the cable TV companies) come straight down from the dish into
the house, and all other connections are inside the house: one is split
to feed all three receivers, and the second one goes to the second input
on the DirecTivo (dual tuners).

DishNet looks at different sats through different LNBF, this is why they
require multiple cables.

My only complaints a

1. They didn't ground the dish, other than through the shield of the

cable.

No big deal.

2. They used a 4-way splitter and (I only just noticed when I went to
check on something in order to write this message) did not use
terminator caps on the two unused outputs.

Another no big deal.

~kjpro~

Perce

On 01/26/05 11:41 am tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I would like to know how Dish Network installer may setup cabling and
splitter to install four receivers in a house.

Currently, I am using DirecTV (with 2 receivers), and I plan to replace
it with Dish Network (with 4 receivers) in the near future.

I have already setup a central panel where the video cables from all
the rooms home run to it. Currently, DirecTV has two video cables
coming from the satellite dish, and I extend them to reach the central
panel, and directly hook up to the video connections of two rooms. I
don't use any splitter because I only have 2 receivers and there are
only two video cables coming from the satellite dish.

Now, I want to know how Dish Network installer will install cabling in
my house, and whether they will need a splitter. Hopefully, I can do
most of the work myself; then I can use better quality video cable than
what the installer will use, and hopefully I can save the $50
additional installation fee for 4 receivers with foreign TV programs.

My questions a

- How many video cables come from one satellite dish of Dish Network?
One, two, or four? I am under the impression that if I need to receive
foreign TV shows via Dish Network, I need two satellite dishes. And if
each dish comes with 2 video cables, I will have totally 4 video cables
coming from satellite dishes. If this is the case, I don't really need
a splitter to split the video to 4 receivers; I can simply connect each
incoming video cable to each receiver (via the central panel).

- If there is only a combined total of one or two video cables coming
from the satellite dish(es). I assume we need a splitter to split the
video signal to 4 receivers. Which splitter do they use?

I really prefer to do this cabling myself. The DirecTV installer ran
cable all over the place including horizontal surface in outdoor where
squirrels chewed it up. And the cable is thin video cable instead of
thick shielded cable. Therefore, I prefer to limit the installer to
mount the satellite dish, run video cables from the satellite dish to
the basement, tune the satellite dish and receivers, and I will finish
all the cabling indoor myself.