makesawdust makesawdust is offline
Member

Default Need Advice of Finish Nail Gun to Buy - 15 or 16 gauge

We’re having a new house built and I am going to do the finish carpentry. I need to buy a decent nail gun for running the base and installing door and window casing. Suggestions and advice about what nailer to purchase will be greatly appreciated!

I’m leaning towards a 15 gauge nailer, rather than buying a 16 gauge unit. However, Lowes has a 16 gauge Bostitch (Model #: SB1664) on sale for $129; I like the price, but that’s about all I like about this nailer. I have two other Bostitch guns (18 gauge brad & crown stapler) and have found that these are essentially disposable tools – in fact, I think that the $12 Harbor Freight brad nailer I “took a chance on” is every bit as good, or better, than my Bostitch brad nailer. Also, I don't know if 16 gauge nails are heavy enough for the work I'll be doing.

Lowes also has a Senco combo-pack for $199 that includes an angled 15 gauge finish nailer and a stapler. I’ve used a number of Senco nail guns and liked them (you get what you pay for). At this moment, the scale tilts in favor of this Senco package. With this, I could retire the Bostitch stapler to the bottom of a drawer.

Regarding price point, the less I spend on tools, the more I’ll have for quality materials and upgrades to our new home. But on the other hand, I don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish by buying a junk nail gun that will jam and generally not perform.

Your recommendations regarding brand and gauge are appreciated!

Many thanks!