Lobster

Default Bathroom extractor fan - OK wired direct from lights?

"Lurch" wrote in message
On 17 Mar 2004 06:31:50 -0800, in uk.d-i-y
(Lobster) strung together this:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message

Lobster wrote:
One point - where is it usual to position the isolator switch?
Presumably not within the bathroom? Just inside the loft access

hatch
maybe? Or perhaps at ceiling height out on the landing?

The latter, conventionally. For some reason its th only switch in the
house not statutorally placed withing wheelchair access height.

Thanks.

Regarding this wheelchair height stuff... if you're rewiring an old
house, which belongs to you, are you compelled to follow this rule?
Is this something that building control will kick off about when they
check other aspects of the property (I'm not informing them about the
rewiring). Or when I get the wiring signed off by a Qualified
Competent Electrician, is he likely to turn up his nose? Or when I
come to sell the property (which would in no way suit anybody in a
wheelchair anyway), what then?

I think my post covered it. The likelihood of someone in a wheelchair
needing to isolate the fan for maintenance is highly unlikely. Even at
ceiling height the isolator is lower than a ceiling mounted fan. A
person in a wheelchair also couldn't reach the bulb in a pendant, you
don't see anyone getting in a strop over that one.
You're looking into this political correctness lark a bit too much
here. Stop making life hard for yourself.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I'm certainly not agonising that much over the
position of the isolator switch! I was actually meaning the rest of the
switches in the house, ie the light switches, which is what NatPhil was
alluding to.
David