al

"Mike Faithfull" wrote in message
news:41f7dbe5$0$19155$cc9e4d1f@news-
I've had an inexpens .. no, let's be honest, 'cheap' (!) Prestige
carving/bread "never needs sharpening" knife with a scalloped edge for 30
years or more, and even though it's cheap hard metal, I can still get a
good
edge on it with a sharpening steel. Mind you, it's not as 'scalloped' as
it
used to be .. ;o)

Cheap and soft blades are easy to sharpen, but never get *really* sharp and
loose their edge too quickly. However, you can still sharpen them far
better than most people know knives are meant to be so by all means go this
route.

If you get a chance though, check out a knife shop (please not some crappy
up-market department store with morons for staff!) and get a demo of a
really good knife. Over about £40 generally for a good size chef's or
carver.

I like Japanese knives personally and have a beautiful Damascus steel carver
and chef's knife. About £80 each. I also have a collection of other
reasonable knives (£100 set) to cover all other eventualities and everyday
use.