TBone

If you are just pressing the button and pulling the trigger with the drill
free spinning, you will see nothing. Push the chuck against something in
hammer mode and pull the trigger and you will see what it does.

"igor" wrote in message
I was given a box of some no-name hand tools by a well-meaning friend.
Among the tools is a no-name drill that is supposed to be both a regular
and hammer drill -- just press a button one way or the other. I've long
known of hammer drills but have never seen one in action. I cannot see a
difference between the two settings -- maybe just me. Does a hammer drill
sort of vibrate a little when drilling through masonry or is the hammering
really obvious? Do you actually have to be driling with real pressure
against masonry to detect the hammering? (Against wood it seemed little
more than the chuck being off-center.) I will have to do some drilling
into my brick wall in the spring, so a working version would be helpful.
Advice appreciated. TIA. -- Igor