Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:35:38 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:02:55 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

trivial but significant

Interesting use of language.

alignment problem with the left wing of my table saw.

OK.

I was attempting to
gauge how far out of whack it is by comparing two levels.

Why? It was an alignment problem, not a level problem.

I realize that you are a linguist, rather than a logician, but does
the concept of "category error" have any resonance at all?

He wasn't a very cunning linguist in this case, was he?

You are using a verb to solve a noun problem.

watson - who likes to solve noun problems with nouns.

So should the poor boy be deverbed or denounsed?
Don't just point out the problem, supply a solution, please.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications