Astro

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:02:32 -0500, geoman wrote:

snipped
ECR Tech, split system, direct expansion, R-22, 4-tons, 4x100' vertical
loop. Combined with a Trane VS air handler. The unit is the latest model
using a new Copeland Millennium scroll compressor. (I believe that's the
type of compressor, it had some fancy name, but I'm not 100% sure of
that.)

I have to correct myself. The above COP is NOT accurate. I was looking
at
my notes and the above amperage was a quick and dirty clamp meter
measurement that hasn't been corrected for power factor. I'm going to
put
a loop on the line and scope it to determine PF using the zero crossing
phase shift. For an approximation, you could adjust the 2.8 by the PF
for
a typical compressor. I see one reference for a 4-ton Copeland scroll
compressor is 0.98, so if mine matches this, the value won't change much
at all. I see PFs from .85 to .98. in the charts.

Note: for those of you who want a detailed explanation of power factor
and
why true power doesn't simply equal the power you measure with a
clamp-meter, see:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricC.../AC/AC_11.html

Ah, the gentlemen from the engineering newsgroup where Abby Normal is
helping you ..... I thought I recognized the style of writting.

I never heard of ECR tech, there is another brand but I can't recall
what it
is that is DX as well. Does ECR make their own air handlers or do they
just
make the remote system that attaches to anothers air handler system such
as
yours?

Rich

you got it, that's me.

BTW - I made new measurements today, system is reading 13 amps for the
heat pump and 2 amps for the air handler, measured with an RMS reading,
dual slope integrating clamp meter. 243 Volts. BTUs after a long run is
down to 28500. COP still measure out about 2.8 not including the air
handler consumption. System COP then measures 2.4. I think these are
pretty good, though I still haven't quantified the PF.

ECR has some air handlers that they sell, I think, but their installer
prefers the Trane VS unit.