SansAdresse

You shouldn't have to worry about distortion in a subwoofer

The distortion would be in the woofers of the main speakers.

Yes, you are doing it the 'right' way, but certainly you are doing it the 'hard' way.
I'd try NSM's solution first, then if you have objectionable distortion....

I did buy the powered subwoofer and the crossover (a venerable
Nakamichi model), only to discover that the jumpered connectors on the
back of the Sony integrated amp are an "accessory loop" (pre-volume
control) and not a Pre-out/Main-in pair.

I would expect higher quality reproduction if things are done the
"right way": not just less distortion, but cleaner sounding music. Are
you saying that the difference wouldn't be perceptible?

[PS: Changing the amp means getting also a new tuner since the latter
get its remote control signals from the amp.]

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:14:42 -0600, "jakdedert"
wrote:
SansAdresse wrote:
The idea is to cleanly separate the frequencies (I am just going by
the textbook!), and to avoid sending to the main speakers the low
frequencies which may drive them into distortion. (Bach's organ music
is played on the system.)

You shouldn't have to worry about distortion in a subwoofer, but I admire
your fortitude. Yes, you are doing it the 'right' way, but certainly you