mel

Yellow pine is a low altitude growing conifer. Extended growing seasons and
warmer weather allows the tree to produce denser fibers with more resin.
There are several different species that fall under the broad classification
of "yellow pine". Contrary to some of the posts I've read in this thread,
yellow pine is abundant and obtaining "clear" material is still relatively
easy to do. It just depends on where you live. I live in Texas and sell
framing lumber for a living. It's real common to get 2x12-24' boards with
nary a knot mixed in with a bundle of #2. Nobody is taking the time anymore
to separate it out. Here it's just cheap framing material.

Interesting fact, the reason YP warps and twists so much is due to the tree
rotating as much as 360 degrees as it grows each and every year.

wrote in message
oups.com...
They cut really thin curlies in anything else (well, I haven't tried
aged oak, yet), so I think they are pretty sharp (SCARYied, just before
use on this piece--and duringG). It has to do with the angle of
attack, and the wood itself--plane geometryG.

George noticed that I mentioned it was CCA--does the metallic content
of the tx have anything to do with the hardness, or is this just badass
wood? (BTW, I know that SYP is hard; my query was to reasons for this
characteristic. Resins, age, tx? Combination?
I'm gonna find a different board.

Dan