Joe Gorman

igor wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:09:55 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

igor wrote:

I thought that the SYP that was used in old flooring (maybe 75-125 years
ago) is no longer commercially available except as recycled? (I have some
in my 90 year old house.) Is that species still being cut? -- Igor

Oh, lordy, yes...almost all pressure-treated is SYP....it is now farmed
commercially in all the SE.

And it was used (and still is although not presently as popular) for
flooring, siding, etc.

I've even seen some as moulding in the Borg since white pine and similar
species are now so expensive.

Interesting. That may mean that 20 years ago when I did a renovation and
needed a 12" x 9' strip worth of SYP to match my existing floor that I was
taken -- they said they had to use recycled SYP. Material cost was $17/sq
ft. IIRC. It does match well. -- Igor

There is a lot of difference between the curent syp and the old
growth that was available 100+ years ago. There are a few stands
left, but many are in protected areas. During the drought a
couple years ago one salesman offered the tall ship I was helping
on some that was being harvested from normally swampy land that
was inacessible, unless you wanted to leave the equipment behind,
in the mud. Our donation fell through so someone else got to play
with some really nice stuff.
Joe