Larry Jaques

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:15:39 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"
spake:

Update - I spoke with my son late in the afternoon and contrary to what I
thought earlier, he never did place the grip in a sandwich bag of Tung Oil.
He did however, apply about six coats last night and he said it was dry to
the touch within 10-15 minutes. So, he put additional coats on as it dried.

Trying to put on a finish too quickly is an extremely typical newbie
finishing error. It's one of the worst and is often accompanied by a
SWMBO's impatience and insistence. "Feels dry" and "IS dry" are two
completely different animals. As I said, I would definitely strip it
and start over. I wouldn't want a tacky grip reminding me of my error
every time I picked it up, knowwhatImean,Vern? DAMHIKT

Yes, a bit of varnish/turps wouldn't hurt and would help build more
quickly. Better yet, have him pick up some Waterlox.

Is Waterlox available in most hardware stores or the BORGs?

No, but it's becoming stocked in more places. I get mine from
Russ at www.woodfinishingsupplies.com . Have your son look around
and order online if he doesn't find it locally. (NOTE: The delivery
time will give his stripped piece time to dry out before a good
finish goes on.)

Tell him to remember these tips for good finishing. They're good
for most finishes, not just oils:

Finish ONLY in a warm, dry, well-ventilated area.

Limit finish coats to one per day. If he wants a thick, high-gloss
finish, allow even more rest time (36-48 hours as the coats build up)
to ensure final dryness.

Denib with the grain (do not "sand") between each coat. (light passes
of 320/400 grit wet-or-dry paper used dry, then wipe dust off)

Wait a long while (1+ weeks) before waxing to allow final curing to
happen. Some finishes need a month to cure, so look for the mfgr's
instructions and follow them as a minimum.

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright