Pat Barber

Cause it's really tough wood. SYP is the king of softwoods
and you ain't met the tough stuff yet....

Older homes with SYP heart wood will bring tears to your
eyes when you jump on them with cutting tools.

You gotta be from the south to really understand SYP.

We got plenty...you want some more ????

wrote:

I've be trying to flatten a short piece of yellow pine 2x12 CCA that
I've had around for a while and just found the use of. I didn't think
it would be too tough a job.

Not having a power planer I've been working on it with a #5, and a #4
(both recently tuned up and sharp) but the only thing that cuts it is
my low angle block plane. This stuff is like planing marble--the 45%
planes just slide over the top. The low angle cuts pretty well, but
leaves a choppy surface.

Anybody here know why yellow pine gets so frekkin' hard?
I'm gonna haf ta find another board.

Dan