cyrille de brébisson

Hello,

I have been there done that, so I think that I can give you a good advice.

I first bought 2 cheapy out of ebay (real cheapy!!!).
I mounted one as a table router and used the other as a plunge router.
I have now purchased a Porter Cable 694 VK (I beleive), which is a variable
speed soft start plunge/fixed router.

Why did I go and spend $200 to buy 1 new router while I had 2 routers
already?

1) the cheapy ones are not turning realy round. This is a HUGHE issue at
22000rpm.
1) it means that the cut quality will be ****y
2) it makes the router hard to handle (danger)
3) when using big bits, such as a pannel raiser bit, it is hell DANGEROUS!
2) the setting mechanism will not lock, is hard to handle and tune, the
gages and side rails are not fixed properly causing extra hardship and
danger while you are trying to do something which is already hard and
dangerous.
3) because of the above problems, if you want to do an OK job, you will HAVE
to buy good quality bits, and at $20 a pop, you only need 10 of them to make
up for the price of the Porter Cable. In addition, your bits will not last
as long. I bought 6 bits before I gave up and bought the PC.

Why I am so happy to have moved over?
1) the PC makes routing so much easier, safer, makes better cuts
2) I can use lower quality bits and it is not a problem. I purchased a set
of 50 1/2 shank bit on ebay for $30 and can do a better job with them and
the PC that I could with my cheapy router and a $20 bit. I still go and buy
good quality bits everyonce in a while when I want to do a perfect job on
something, but this is rare now...
3) it feels so much safer! especially with the variable speed when I use the
big bits!
4) the quality of my work as increased 5 fold over! and I work faster. it is
so much easier to ajust the depth and position!

What shoud you do then?
If you are using a router on a regular basis (one project every 2 months or
more) or are looking at doing good work, I would say pay the price and get
the good router.
If you are using a router on a once in a while, for small project and are
not planning to use large bits, go the cheap route...

If you decide to go the cheap route, I have 2 routers that are up for sale
:-) $15+ shipping!

have fun, cyrille

"Squanklin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read some posts that recommend a newbie to woodworking start out
with a router purchased off of ebay.

If one chooses to go this route rather than buying a $200+ Porter
Cable, is the suggestion to buy a new "El Cheapo" brand or to buy a
used, name brand router? Also, for a first-timer taking this advice,
what's a good target price for a router purchased through ebay?
Thanks for your input.
Squank