WD

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:59:32 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Very good advice indeed. There are honest and dishonest sellers in Ebay, just as
there are honest and dishonest buyers. Last year, I bought an Oldham's carbides
saw blade and the blade does not look like new as advertised. The seller,
immediately send me another one free. After a closer examination, I discovered
the saw blade was indeed new, I compensate the seller for his trouble and
honestly.

Under no circumstances would I buy a brand X router on Ebay. It will be a
piece of junk, and you will have no possible way to complain; you will
simply thow it out within a week.
Buying a used router on Ebay for $40 is a crap shoot. It might be okay, or
it might be one that has suffered an accident or abuse. But it is a much
better bet than a brand X, cause it "might" be okay. (I just bought a used
set of hole saws on Ebay for $11 including freight. In the picture it looks
like only one was used, so it should be a great buy. But maybe is is fake
picture and I am getting screwed; won't know for a few days.)

You should try to find a used router locally; either in the classified or at
an auction. Or, if you have a local Harbor Freight, I would buy one there.
It will be crude, but will not be actual junk.

Personally, I would wait until I could afford a better one; but that
obviously isn't an option for you.

"Squanklin" wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks, all, for your comments on my other recent post. I'm afraid I
didn't make myself clear in my question - please excuse me. Let me try
and re-state in another way:

Assuming I cannot and will not buy a new, name brand router (as good as
they are and as nice as that would be), is it better to buy a new
X-brand router for $40 or less, or thould I buy a used, name brand
router for $40 or less?

I hope that helps clarify my question. Note again: a new Porter Cable
router is not an option, no matter how good the sale is at amazon or HD
(unless it's $40 or less). I appreciate your thoughts.

Squank