Joseph Meehan

Howie wrote:
My wife and I are installing our own "assemble yourself" kitchen
cabinets (Mills Pride from Home Depot). One section of base cabinet
(12" wide, 24" deep) and one section above it of wall cabinet (12"
wide, 24" deep as well) are unfortunately going to be located between
the studs on the wall (these studs are 24" on centre.)

My question:
1. Can I secure the base and wall cabinets using toggle bolts? The
base cabinet, besides being "toggle bolted" to the wall, will be
screwed to a fridge panel 24 " wide. The wall cabinet's upper half
will be screwed to fridge panel on one side, and a cabinet on the
other side of it (and also "toggle bolted" to the wall). Will this
be enough to secure these 12" wall and base cabinets?

2. If toggle bolts are not enough, do I have to cut out the drywall
and install 24" horizontal 2 x 4's secured to the studs on either
side? That would be a lot of drywall cutting, but the patches would
be covered up by the cabinets, mostly.

3. How do I secure the 24" fridge panel/base cabinet to the floor
(the is of course a fridge on the other side of the fridge panel, a
stove on the other side of the base cabinet)? Or should I even have
to secure the fridge panel / base cabinet to the floor? We plan to
install laminate flooring after the cabinets are installed.

Any tips / ideas / comments / advice would be appreciated.

Howie

Just a suggestion. If the orphaned cabinets are situated between two
secured cabinets, just screw them to the secured cabinets.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math