Anthony

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

Once you have enough power to lift a rock that's heavier than the
balance of the tractor can handle, you have enough power. Any more
is wasted. One boulder that I moved just, well, to prove that I
could, measures 11 feet in circumferance, one of those dense black
glacial deposit type boulders (no clue what it is, a schist maybe?).
Front came off the ground, of course. Filled the front bucket, picked
it again, and the front was on the ground but steering didn't work. I
used the wheel brakes, and eventually just put the backhoe bucket on
the ground and steered by using that like a rudder, as you would steer
a boat.

Ya, I rescued our 175C International High-Lift with this one once.
Another (not so bright) operator was clearing a creek bottom/marsh with
it, and sunk it level with the floorboard. How, I have no idea, and
neither did anyone else. (It does have a bucket..you *can* get yourself
unstuck before you sink the thing to the hood, if you try.)
When we got to it, it was STUCK, badly. Literally, you could walk
straight from the ground to the floorboard, level. Couldn't even see the
tracks. But, I anchored up on some firm ground not far away, hooked a
big-assed chain to it, and with the help of another operator on the high-
lift using the bucket, we pulled it out. Wasn't easy..and it grunted
terribly, but it did it.
When I worked there, we had the 175C, 3-125E's (International, all with 4
in 1 buckets - HANDY). and 4 Ford Backhoes, a number of trucks, blasting
equipment, etc. Fella sold the business the year I left, new guy ran it
into the ground in less than 2 years and it folded. The old fella I
worked for was killed in a traffic accident a couple of years ago, along
with his wife.
Funny kinda guy. Mid-60's, could get on your ass with the best, but he
was honest, and I respected him. If he told you something, you could
bank on it. He had 2 cups of coffee first thing of a morning, then
switched to Papst Blue Ribbon, kept under a sweater in his truck seat. He
drank it luke-warm. Parked his truck about 15' from the office, with a
dumpster between his truck and the office door. He would go out to the
truck, get a beer, start walking back to the office, down it in two
swallows, and toss the can in the dumpster before he got to the office
door.

--
Anthony

better idiots.