NSM

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote in message
ink.net...

I was planning to insert an AC VOM ammeter, but I don't have anything that
goes up to at least 50 amps to be safe for the surge starting current. And
even so, if the run current is ~7amps, what should the starting surge
current rise to? What's normal and what's too much?

A good rule of thumb is 6 times the run current.

Replacing the caps and the relay has to be much cheaper than replacing the
pump, and if it IS the pump the new parts may be worth keeping anyway. Do
make sure the thing is grounded, although if you have an all metal plumbing
system that's pretty much covered. I'm a great believer in bonding all metal
together - prevents much nastiness.