Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:02:49 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"
spake:

Not being tremendously experience or expert in the application of oils to
wood myself, I find myself in need of some advice.

Hey, and you even spelled "advice" correctly. Two points from the
get-go, Mike.

I'll take the two points. One can never have enough points.

A coat a day is what I try to do, especially for the 3rd coat on up.
Did he use plain tung oil or boiled/catalyzed tung oil? If all in one
night, it will probably never dry. I'd suggest cleaning the dregs off
and letting it dry for a week. Then start over with a known product,
applying no more than one coat per day to allow it to DRY properly.

Update - I spoke with my son late in the afternoon and contrary to what I
thought earlier, he never did place the grip in a sandwich bag of Tung Oil.
He did however, apply about six coats last night and he said it was dry to
the touch within 10-15 minutes. So, he put additional coats on as it dried.

Yes, a bit of varnish/turps wouldn't hurt and would help build more
quickly. Better yet, have him pick up some Waterlox.

Is Waterlox available in most hardware stores or the BORGs?

--

-Mike-