Doug

My first router was a Ryobi plunge router for around 70 bucks. I
really liked it, but eventually the plunge mechanism stopped locking
and the router would drift up or down when making a cut. I was using
the thing in a router table and believe the dust collecting in it was
part of the problem. I tried to fix it myself -like a dope- and now
the thing sits in parts in its case. I've since purchased the Hitachi
mv-12 and I'm not as thrilled with it as many others seem to be. It's
heavy and the plunge mechanism is very sticky. I read an excellent
review on the latest Ryobi, a plunge router for around $100. If you're
looking for a machine that in theory will have plenty of power and good
features at a good price you might want to look into that one.

Squanklin wrote:
I've read some posts that recommend a newbie to woodworking start out
with a router purchased off of ebay.

If one chooses to go this route rather than buying a $200+ Porter
Cable, is the suggestion to buy a new "El Cheapo" brand or to buy a
used, name brand router? Also, for a first-timer taking this advice,
what's a good target price for a router purchased through ebay?
Thanks for your input.
Squank