Antony Sykes

Squanklin asked:
I've read some posts that recommend a newbie to woodworking start out
with a router purchased off of ebay.

If one chooses to go this route rather than buying a $200+ Porter
Cable, is the suggestion to buy a new "El Cheapo" brand or to buy a
used, name brand router? Also, for a first-timer taking this advice,
what's a good target price for a router purchased through ebay?
Thanks for your input.
Squank

I recommend staying as far away form El Cheapo brands as possible. It's
very discouraging to start out using a badly designed tool. For instance, I
went cheap on a jointer. The outfeed table won't stay put, the adjustment
mechanisms are inaccurate and require wrenches and a screwdriver to adjust
(instead of levers or handcranks as on higher quality tools). The fence is
also a Herculean Task to adjust and doesn't stay adjusted for long. Better
tools are generally easier tools. I'm sure a novice woodworker would be
immediately frustrated with some lower quality tools. Buying a better
jointer would have saved me money on ibuprofen alone, not to mention the
wrecked pieces of wood.

First, arm yourself with knowledge: Go to the local BORG (Home Depot,
Lowes), or other store in your area and pick their brains (should they have
any). Consider a couple of things:

1. Motor size: 1 3/4HP is fairly common and you can get a lot done with
it. Two drawbacks: 1) Usually only accept 1/4 shank bits. 2) Need multiple
passes and may have to go slower when using big bits. There are larger,
i.e. 3HP, but a price tag comes with those.

2. Depth adjustments: Many times when plunging into an item you need to do
it in steps. Some routers come prepared for that and have multiple
adjustable stops. Cheaper models you may have only one depth setting at a
time and have to reset it for each pass. Still, not a big deal if the
adjustment system is user friendly.

As another poster mentioned, most woodworkers end up with multiple routers
so a decent mid-grade model won't be a waist of money.

Happy Woodworking!
Tony