Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

"rijo1" wrote in message
One more thing to do is check the amp draw while the pump is running with

an AMP
Probe to see if the pump is drawing more amps than it is supposed to . If

that
is the case then the pump is worn badly .

So far, (I haven't checked with an ammeter yet) today the pump failed to
start (and it's 27ºF) and when I pressed reset, I noted that the house
lights dimmed until the reset overload protector tripped (with quite an
audible 'pop' like when you short circuit 110vac). I had to make three
attempts to get the pump to finally start.
I visually-inspected the box, having disassembled the covers and the plug in
module. It contains a bakelight-jacketed round start capacitor, and a metal
can oil-filled run cap, in addition to the pushbutton and a relay, sealed in
a bakelight case. All look as they did when new. No evidence of leaking
electrolyte, no rust, corrosion or burn marks.

My next move will be to buy replacement capacitors and see what that
accomplishes, if any.
I am worried that the pump, now 20 years old, just may BE worn out.
(Bearings? Sludge buildup?) It is January here, and the plastic pipe going
down the well would crack at these temperatures if subjected to flexing
necessary to pull the pump. The last time I did this it was in the mid 50ºF
range and we managed okay. But it is January with more snow on the way.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com