Al

In article , says...
You saw the power supply do something particular. But you
did not report back what you saw. Appreciate that you are
starving me of details that could solve your problem quickly.

Sorry, Tom. I started a new thread asking about the bulging capacitors in
the computer. From all the replies about bad caps (and because a known
working ATX PSU showed the same behavior as the original PSU), I quickly
became convinced that the bad caps were the problem, not the PSU.

Thank you for the help.

Appreciate that without removing anything, we can pretty much
isolate the problem down to one of three components in a power
supply 'system'. So which voltages rise on power up? Which
voltages do not? And what are numbers for other voltages
that, for example, must always be there?

as I understand it, pin 9 should always have 5v - but when I measured
between 3 (ground) and 9 I got the same as I always get anyhwere on the
back of the ATX connector: a short tiny movement of the analog meter. I'd
guessed that an analog meter's needle can't react quickly enough to
adequately display a momentary voltage, so I don't know what the voltage
really was. (It showed maybe .5 volt.)