Dave Jackson

I guess the answer to this question will have to be based on your goals as a
woodworker. If you just plan to be an occasional weekend hobbiest, you
could get by with an Ebay "El Cheapo" router. If your goals are to one day
evolve into more of a skilled craftsman, you will need a good machine
eventually, and, as you know, they can get pricey.
IMHO a good all around "starter" router would be a PC 690 like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846
For $125, it's a good brand name mid-grade unit. (Home Depot recently had
these on sale for $99) If your an occasional hobbiest, it will adequately
serve you needs. If your goal is to become a dedicated woodworker, it will
also serve you well until you realise the need for a more expensive,
professional router (I prefer the Bosch 1617EVS) Then the 690 will become
your secondary router. (Most of us dedicated woodworkers have more than one
router anyway, so it's not a waste of money to start with a mid grade unit).
The "right" decision here all depends on your level of dedication to
woodworking. Hope this helps! --dave

"Squanklin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've read some posts that recommend a newbie to woodworking start out
with a router purchased off of ebay.

If one chooses to go this route rather than buying a $200+ Porter
Cable, is the suggestion to buy a new "El Cheapo" brand or to buy a
used, name brand router? Also, for a first-timer taking this advice,
what's a good target price for a router purchased through ebay?
Thanks for your input.
Squank