Mike Marlow

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...

Four coats of Waterlox Original on a walnut memorial flag case still
showed some spots with a difference in sheen. That's one of the charms
of unfilled walnut. It's a porous wood. But filling it covers some of
the texture, in most applications.

After he gets that handle out of the bag, he might want to try a trick
that Steve Knight shows on his web site. Bury the handle in a box of
sawdust and shavings for a couple of days, and let the oils
soak/leach/cure. Probably best done in a warmer-than-my-shop space,
too.

Thanks Patriarch. That's one I had not heard of.

Then you can decide on the next round of finish. I like a good paste
wax, but the gunstock folks know a thing or three about keeping their
walnut clean, straight and beautiful in harsher conditions.

I had thought about a trip over to the gunstock guys as well. Will probably
see what they do as well.

Fun working with the kids, isn't it?

More than you know. My son is 28 and over the past couple of years we've
really gotten tight. We were real tight as he was growing up and then he
had to do that thing that we all have to do, and we didn't see an awful lot
of each other. Now we fish together, hunt together, do car work together,
woodworking, cooking (he's a chef), and just about everything else. He just
got married a couple of months ago and it's just been a ball doing all these
things together and welcoming his wife into the fold and all that stuff.
Yeah - it's cool.

--

-Mike-