Dave Hinz

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:11:06 GMT, Anthony wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in news:35kkq8F4lufb6U15
@individual.net:

About levers - just for the record, on a Ford 4600 backhoe, the lever
to empty the bucket is right next to the lever to lower the arm. If
you're filling a wheelbarrow, this difference is critical.

Yes they are....tis what I ran... Those are fast backhoes.

Nice machine. Was a bit wobbly in the bushings, but had more than
enough power for what I was using it for. Wish I still had it, but
I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it.

I won a bet on that once for my boss. He and another guy who owned a
company were arguing about which was better, his Case, or my bosses
Fords. They marked off 100' and had us line up and race....I beat his
slow-assed Case by better than 30'. That old Ford may not have had the
grunt-down pulling power of the Case, but it was way faster. There were
extremely few situations where that bit of extra power would have made a
difference.

Once you have enough power to lift a rock that's heavier than the
balance of the tractor can handle, you have enough power. Any more
is wasted. One boulder that I moved just, well, to prove that I
could, measures 11 feet in circumferance, one of those dense black
glacial deposit type boulders (no clue what it is, a schist maybe?).
Front came off the ground, of course. Filled the front bucket, picked it
again, and the front was on the ground but steering didn't work. I used
the wheel brakes, and eventually just put the backhoe bucket on the ground
and steered by using that like a rudder, as you would steer a boat.

On a side note, a wheelbarrow cannot hold up the digging end of
a backhoe.

Hehe...

Funny thing was, just seconds after I did that, my neighbor came around the
back of my house, looked at the situation, and let me know that he has a
wheelbarrow just like mine, for the same reason (different backhoe
though, his is a Deere).

Dave Hinz