Tom

"Andy Hide" wrote in message
om...
I need some advice on the best way to drain down my CH system to add
an additional radiator. I'm in a first floor flat and the pipes run
under the wooden floor. There is a drain cock on one of the radiators
but correct me if I'm wrong this will only drain to the level of the
drain cock? All the pipes under the floor will still be full of water.

My thoughts were to buy one of those self piercing taps that you can
use for washing machines etc which you can fix without having to empty
the pipe of water. I could fix this under the floor and then attach a
length of hose to this. The hose will of course travel uphill for a
short length as it passes up to floor level from under the floor.
Could I syphon the remaining water out ?

Any other ideas bearing in mind my requirement of not wanting to make
a mess of downstairs ceiling!

Someone recently suggested using a WET vac type "Hoover" to deal with this
situation, the method being (if I remember correctly), remove rad and drain
tap, seal the suction hose on to the pipe with a bit of PVC tape or
similar, open up the other rads to let air in and then switch it on, sucking
the water into the wet vac reservoir. I've never tried it but it seems like
a good idea. if you have the means or inclination to try it, please let us
know if it works.
Cheers
Tom