Mike Marlow

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Probably the sheen difference is owing to a difference in both the wood
itself if it is glued up stock (as I presume it would be) and difference
in how thoroughly the sanding was prior to finishing. I would rub out
two or three more coats using 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper as the next
step to see how that goes...

As for long-term durability, the oil finishes will not stand up to water
well, but the good thing is they can be replenished easily...

Thanks Duane. The grip isn't glued up, I gave him a big enough hunk of wood
to cut it out of one piece that is hollowed out to surround the riser from
the rear. I'll pass along the recommendation for rubbing out a few more
coats with 400. If he mixes some varnish with the Tung Oil, will that help
the durability any? I guess it's not really a big deal since he can always
rub in some more oil once or twice a year.

I believe he has it soaking in a sandwich bag of Tung Oil while he's at work
today, so I'm sure he'll have plenty on the wood to rub out tonight.
--

-Mike-