Martin Crook

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:

I would argue that if the fan itself is actually in the loft (i.e. it is
a ducted fan) then having the isolater there next to it is logical since
it is within ready control of the person working on the fan.

No question that you're right. My thoughts were supposed to refer to the
fan-through-the-wall or similar case, where the motor's in the bathroom.
That's the more arguable case, where the isolator isn't so readily
operable and observable (or, without local knowledge, even locatable!)
by whoever's doing the maintenance; I call it 'arguable' rather'n
'forbidden' since, in the domestic case, there won't be other people
trooping up into the loft to switch the isolator back on, and if it's
accessible in practice, I can't see it being a gross violation.

But smarter still, and quite common practice, is to put the isolator
just outside the bathroom, right up by the ceiling - out of reach of
casual switching, more accessible than up in th'loft.

Thanks, my fan is in fact a ducted type fan and the isolator is just next to
it., I should have made that clear. There is no way you could work on it
from inside the bathroom, you would have to be in the loft.

Martin