Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:11:19 GMT, Greg Grosz wrote:

I am a retired film editor and have done some stained-glass in the past. I
would like to learn how to make furniture out of wood and I believe I have
the temperament and patience for it.

I now live in Oregon, between Eugene and Roseburg, and am trying to figure
out how to learn the craft/art. Learning hands-on from an experienced
person would be ideal but I could use some assistance to find either a
school, person, or course.

Have you, or anyone you know, had a similar desire to learn woodworking and
where did you get your education/experience?

After I finished my Master's degree, I decided I needed to be doing
something other than sitting in front of a compuer all the time. I had
always had the desire to build furniture, but my previous two attempts
were, to be kind, pretty crude.

My approach to learning consisted of finding a number of books on the
subject, subscribing to Fine Woodworking magazine as well as Woodsmith and
ShopNotes, and following threads on this newsgroup. For a good list of
books, do a Google search under this newsgroup, or go to your local book
purveyor and find various books that give you an overview of the basics:
joints, tools, design fundamentals. IMO, stay away from the various plans
books and "how to build a ..." books, if you concentrate on the basic
elements, the "how to build a .." becomes an easy step.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody