Owen Lowe

In article .com,
wrote:

I am considering white Norton wheels from Lee Valley or Blue slowspeed
wheels from Oneway. Which stones are preferable for woodturning chisels
and why are they preferable?

You're going to make me dig out my catalogs, aren't you?

OK, the Lee Valley look good - especially at 1/2 or just under the
prices of the Oneways. My concern going with just these wheels is that
they don't have one coarse enough (80/120) from my experience. I use a
36 grit for reshaping the edge profile and an 80 grit for general
sharpening. (I use Camel brand from Woodcraft and they happen to be
blue.)

The Oneways look good too and I'm sure are top quality as Oneway
products are known to be. (Lee Valley also carries excellent products,
but they certainly aren't geared solely to the turning crowd with these
wheels like Oneway is.) I like the grits offered better than the LVs -
54/80/120.

If those were my two choices for sources and I had the budget, I'd
probably try the Oneway wheels in 54 and maybe 120. They offer a 90 day
satisfaction guarantee, so if the 120 proved too fine - meaning it
loaded up too fast for my grinding technique - I'd exchange it for an 80
grit.

Now that I've typed all that, I must say that I like my Camel wheels
from Woodcraft, and at about $25-$30 they seem to fall right in between
the two outlets you're considering.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long