Tim Kedwards Tim Kedwards is offline
Junior Member

Smile Sealed CH Radiator problem

Hello !

I have a sealed (ie pressurised) gas central system. Majority of radiators are fed through 8mm “micro-pore” copper pipes which are orginal to the house build of 1992.

The boiler is 1 year old and running at 1.5 BAR and really kicks out some heat

I have read the FAQ wrt radiator balancing and understand the concept.

A couple of the radiators do not get as hot as others despite having balanced the system. So if I feel the 8mm pipe (to what I think is) feeding the radiator it is too hot to touch for too long but the return valve pipe at the opposite end is considerably cooler. I have opened both the return and flow valves to their maximum flow but this temp differential still remains and the radiator does get hot but not as hot as some others.

Any help would be much appreciated. The only thing that spring to mind is that perhaps the return valve is stuck in one position despite rotating (doubtful) – or the radiator is bunged up with sludge ?

One other quick question – surely when trying to determine which is the inlet and return end of a radiator - if one of the radiator feed pipes is very much hotter than the other this would indicate that it is the inflow. The reason I ask is that all the downstairs rads have an integrated bleed valve on one side (which I took as being the return side). But I have found that this side produces consistently hotter feed pipes which to my small brain indicates that they are the inflow

Hope this makes sense

Many thanks

Tim