WD

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:29:22 GMT, Dave Miller wrote:

Thanks for the information. I have spent hours looking at the possibility making
a drum sander, Including Stockroom Supply V-Drum Sander. I juggled with various
possibility and found it would cost above $400.

Just before Christmas I bought a brand new drum sander at Ebay. it's look like a
Performax 16/32, I believe it is a discontinued 1 hp Ryobi 16/32. You might want
to take a look at the seller website. His name is Tom, a honest and friendly
Ebay seller for woodworking machine.

http://www.woodwrighttools.com/store...products_id=38

Disclaimer, I have no relation with the seller, I'm just a satisfier buyer.

I paid $135 for the kit, which didn't include a motor. It had the drum,
bearings, link belt, pulleys, two rolls of sandpaper, and some plans to
make a cabinet for it. I've looked a little on Ebay for a motor, they
don't seem too expensive. They say to use 1/4 HP up to 1/2 HP, 1725 RPM
motor. They said at the show TEFC is not necessary, but a sander's job
is to make dust, and dust always seems to go where you don't want it, so
I'll probably hold out for TEFC.

Another booth sold one called the Sand Flee, all put together including
a Baldor 1/3 HP motor. Also had stainless steel table and extruded
aluminum fence, but they wanted $499 as the show special price, plus $50
shipping (they didn't have them at the show, would ship to you
afterwards). For that price, figured I'd tinker with the kit.

WD wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:37:04 GMT, Dave Miller wrote:

BTW, how much did you pay for everything including motor etc?

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about that, too. You'd have to
be careful to keep the work moving. I bought one of the kits, just need
to pick up a motor and then assemble everything. I'll try it and post
back to the group with my experience.

wrote:

Gee.

I just looked at your URL to the Stockroom Supply site. I guess I just
repeated what they said! I think this is the guy that I bought mine
from. Again, I can't see using it for a jointer. You have to be
careful and push it through the sander in an even, smooth stroke
otherwise you could end up with a ripple surface.