machineman

Default coolant/lubricant for machining acrylic?

Dave in MD wrote:
OK, not really metal-related, but I need to machine some acrylic stock and
was wondering what a good coolant or lubricant would be? I've read that 30%
liquid Ivory soap-70% water works, but are there any others to consider?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
Standard coolants work well, maybe a little weaker than usual (1-3%)
or a Cold air gun. The important thing is to keep the heat out of the
workpiece. Use very sharp tools. If using carbide inserts, high
positive ground and polished edges are best.