PhilÅ

"Set Square" wrote in message
Since I've had rather too many light bulbs 'popping' on turn-on recently,
decided to monitor the mains voltage by leaving my Brennenstuhl
volt/amp/watt meter plugged into a socket.

Whereas it sits at just under 240v for most of the time, it has been
showing
quite a lot of variation - this morning getting up to about 248v for a
while.

What are the acceptable limits? Is the voltage controlled locally in each
sub-station - or does that just transform it down in a fixed ratio? The
thought occurs to me that if power stations generate a constant voltage,
the
voltage arriving at domestic premises will vary depending on what load is
being drawn en-route - and large fluctuations may occur when factories
start
up and shut down (not that there are any very close to me).

Can anyone throw any light on this subject?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

By telling the huge hamster to either slow down or speed up in his wheel