George

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In "Northern" climes, in a poorly-insulated, free-standing outbuilding,

with
even R-19 insulation(say), on the cabinet itself, 100 watts is *not* at

all
likely to be adequate under severe conditions. Ditto for an unheated
_attached_ garage.

In extreme environments, I've known folks to use an upright freezer, with
_several_ hundred watts of heating in it. Usually in the form of several
'banks', each of which kick on at slightly lower 'inside' temperatures.

Of course -20 F isn't extreme, nor is 46 20 north, but a 60 watt bulb keeps
the 1/4 hose to the pressure switch on my pump from freezing inside an
uninsulated, unheated shed if I put a tarp over the pump. If it burns out -
hair dryer time.

Oil-based finishes can suffer coagulation in freezing temperatures, too.
Only things in the garage at my house are a spare 5 gallons of diesel and
gas for the snowblower.